Application deadline: Wed., 02.09.2020
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, the entry is more difficult for some candidates than for others. In the spirit of equality, the head of program has decided to hold the entrance examination via video (not on site).
Please send us your video application until 15.09.2020 to email@example.com.
Please send us the following videos:
Link submission via YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
Please include "Video application chamber music WS 2020/21" in the subject line of the e-mail!
You will be informed personally via e-mail about the result of your entrance examination.
Tue., 15.09.2020, all day
MUK.podium (Johannesgasse 4a, 1010 Vienna)
The board entrance examination aims to check suitability of the ensemble or individual (candidates without chamber music partners), while taking into consideration their prior practical knowledge and skills relating to chamber music. It also serves to provide a forecast of whether the aims of the course will be achieved.
1. Submission of a brief biography (including language skills and evidence of chamber music experience), letter of motivation, list of works and exam programme:
• Brief biography: Applicants should provide a written overview of their qualifications to date, their (language) skills, chamber music experience (concert programme, course certificates, etc.) and focal points.
• Letter of motivation: Applicants should describe their personal expectations and aims for the course.
• List of works: Applicants should document their ideas for the pieces to be worked on during the course.
• Exam programme for the artistic examination (with the exception of individuals)
2. Board artistic entrance examination
The exam programme must contain at least two different pieces, of which at least one should be a piece from the First Viennese School. Prestigious single movements are also possible. Where no pieces by the First Viennese School exist for the ensemble, arrangements are also permitted.
The performed works must fall into the category of Chamber Music under the express exclusion of accompanied solo literature.
Programme length: approx. 30 minutes
Ensembles play in the ensemble group.
Individuals will receive a list of chamber music to prepare after registering. For the artistic examination, an ensemble will be provided by the MUK which will have prepared at least once piece from this list. During the examination, the candidate will try out with the ensemble, taking on the relevant part. Up to three different pieces from the list will be attempted during the examination.
The chair of the committee can interrupt or terminate the performance or audition (for individuals) at any time.
The viva will test the linguistic skills of the applicant and the predicted feasibility of said applicant taking the course, with special consideration given to the university’s resources.
The committee will check the individual and artistic potentials and the chance of realising the individual objectives.
Schedule might be possibly altered even in the short term! Regarding that please look up this section of the website regularly. Thank you.
Applications for studying at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna can be submitted online at anytime; they will be reserved for the next admission period. Applications submitted after the application deadline can no longer be considered for the subsequent audition date.