Application deadline: Fri., 22.02.2019
Wed., 13.03.2019, 10.00-13.00
Concert hall (Singerstraße 26, 2nd floor, 1010 Vienna)
The condition of being able to sit the entrance examination is a successfully completed Bachelor’s degree in the field of “Solo Singing“ or an equivalent degree.
The entrance examination is used to check the vocal / artistic skills of the candidate and consists of the following parts:
Performance of an artistic programme:
• 6 songs from 3 different stylistic eras, of which at least 1 Schubert song, in German, performed by heart
• 2 arias from oratorios, masses or cantatas (can be sung from music)
• 1 piece from the overall programme should come from composers from the 20th/21st century, whose tonal language belongs to the modern* stylistic era
• The programme must include two different languages
• Technical discussion
*Modern — Compositions, which extend beyond the tonal language and rhythm of the late romantic era.
Sheet music and instruments must be brought to the entrance examination by the candidate. An accompanist will be available.
Dates for the entrance exam are arranged individually.
The admission exam can be done directly on site in Vienna or by submitting respective application videos and serves to determine applicants’:
a) motivation for undertaking the programme of study
b) artistic proficiency (corresponding to Master’s level entry)
c) artistic and personal suitability
The admission process is split into three parts – applicants must be successful in Part 1 in order to progress to the next stage.
1. Submission of a short biography (including language skills), covering letter, repertoire list and an audition programme:
• Short biography: applicants should provide a written overview of the qualifications they have gained so far, their (language) skills, and the areas their activities have focused on.
• Covering letter: applicants should describe their personal expectations of the programme and what they are looking to get out of it. Applicants should also state their current artistic activities and skills and those they are aiming to acquire.
• Audition programme for Part 2: a programme for the artistic presentation that makes up Part 2 (corresponding to Master’s level entry).
2. Artistic presentation:
In the artistic presentation, applicants should demonstrate their instrumental proficiency and level of artistry. The programme should be put together by the applicant her/himself and should give as strong an impression as possible of her/his artistic qualifications. Instrumental proficiency should be at least that needed for Master’s level entry.
Together with the applicant, a panel will discuss and reflect on the results of Parts 1 and 2 of the admission exam and examine the applicant’s individual and artistic potential as well as her/his personal goals and suitability for the programme.
Schedule might be possibly altered even in the short term! Regarding that please look up this section of the website regularly. Thank you.
Applications for studying at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna can be submitted online at anytime; they will be reserved for the next admission period. Applications submitted after the application deadline can no longer be considered for the subsequent audition date.